Autumn in Naperville! Fall is the season to enjoy nature’s spectacular show of color and texture. Trees and shrubs display leaves of every shape and color, and the autumn color palette brightens our days as we prepare for winter. Why not introduce landscaping materials in your outdoor space that showcase the autumn colors? Brilliant golds, reds and purples replace the greens of summer for one last explosion of color before winter arrives. Best of all, many of the trees and shrubs with great colors thrive in our northern Illinois climate. And, plant them once for many years of enjoyment.
Color isn’t the only benefit to planting trees and shrubs. For spaces large and small, you can find plant material that gives color interest, protection from the wind, winter interest, and even attracts birds. A well-planned home landscape will highlight the best features of your home and property, offers a warm welcome to family and friends, and continues to improve as the seasons come and go.
Take a walk in your neighborhood or forest preserve for inspiration. Of course, it’s not easy to identify the names of trees and shrubs, so here are some to consider:
- Large oaks or Norway maples are majestic shade providers in summer and light up your yard with color in the fall.
- Delicate Japanese maples are valuable specimen trees whose red, lacy leaves attract lots of attention.
- The ancient ginkgo has a neat shape and its distinctive leaf turns bright yellow before dropping late in autumn.
- For a smaller area, burning bushes signal the season when their leaves turn red. Barberry and chokeberry offer texture, berries and color.
- The branches of the red twig dogwood will stay attractive all winter.
Some people like a single-color theme when planting. Some like complementary colors, and some prefer a natural-looking mix of many colors. Try complementing fall or winter outdoor decorating with seasonal color choices. Of course, you’ll also want to include some evergreens to keep some color in the yard during the winter months.
As professional landscape designers we specialize in choosing materials that thrive in our area, and can work with you to install and maintain trees and shrubs to showcase your outdoor space in all seasons.