After a long wait the summer season is finally here! Perhaps it’s because of the unusually tough, cold winter we had, but we are all particularly ready for summer this year. To make the most of it, and to make it last, it’s important to make sure our outdoor living space is ready, too.
Two of the most popular outdoor entertaining holidays are fast approaching: Memorial Day and Father’s Day. Is your outdoor space ready? Maximize the utility and beauty of your space by considering these:
- Trees and shrubs: The unusually long and bitter cold conditions last winter may have caused some damage. Careful pruning, along with a layer of good mulch, will help bring the foliage back to good health, and will help improve its appearance enormously. If you find you lost a tree or line of shrubs, we have mature trees and plants in our nursery. Be sure to check them out!
- Hardscape: Summer entertaining will be easier when you create a spot to place tables and chairs for you and your guests. Now is a great time to evaluate your hardscape, and add to them or rejuvenate them by adding a fire pit, seating wall or adjacent pathway.
- Lighting: You’ll never regret installing outdoor lighting. It provides safety, creates atmosphere, lights up the grill for outdoor chefs, and will extend your entertaining hours each day. Low voltage path lighting, porch lights or overhead lights all make your space cozy and inviting.
- Grills: Summer means outdoor cooking! Make sure your grill is in good condition. Consider adding counter space around the grill or a full outdoor kitchen to make it easier to create delicious meals. Locating the grill a small distance from the crowd, yet close enough to still feel part of the party, will add to its utility.
- Plan color! Carefully chosen trees and foliage can provide three season color interest. Complement them with coordinating seating colors and flowers to complete your look.
We can’t predict the weather for this summer, but whether it’s hot and dry or warm and breezy, we’ll enjoy it more in our outdoor space. Father’s Day grilling, Memorial Day flag-waving, followed by lazy afternoons and evenings – let’s make the most of it!
O’Donovan Landscaping has over 45 years’ experience in the Naperville area. Call us at 630-355-3370 to learn more about designing and installing new landscaping and hardscape designs for your outdoor area. Make your home a welcoming retreat for years to come.